We recently received this message via Facebook:
Quick Question: I want to know if you have any articles that deal with how to tell when a man is really ready for marriage? I’ve experienced situations where a man “says” that he is ready, but when it comes down to it, he retreats. I’m confused by this. I think they’re saying they’re ready for marriage because that’s what they think I want to hear.
When it comes to marriage he talks about it, but is he ready to be about it?
That’s the question that you’ve been asking yourself for the umpteen years, months and days that you’ve been dating. He says all of the right things, but you’re afraid that it may just be talk. Do you want to know how to find out if his words are real? Well your favorite husband and wife duo here on Husband Wife Life are here to save the day. We’ve pulled together a list of 8 Ways to Tell If Your Man Means It When He Says That He’s Ready for Marriage.
This list will give you the ability to see through the fluff, and to determine if he’s really a man of his word. Is he hiding you? Are you having the must-have conversations yet? If you still can’t figure it out at the end of this list, then at least you’ll have a good starting point to move forward from. Are we claiming that your man isn’t serious if he doesn’t do everything on this list? No, but we are saying dude may have some explaining to do LOL. Scroll through our super fast gallery and let us know what you think in the comment section.
1. DID HE PUT A RING ON IT? – We did a film screening in 2010 where a man stood up and asked how he could show his girlfriend that he was serious about getting married. Beyonce said it best, “Put a Ring On It!” Talking about wanting to get married is one thing. Showing that you want to get married is something else and leads to our 2nd slide.
2. DO HIS ACTIONS MATCH HIS WORDS? – Even after he puts a ring on it, ask yourself: “do his actions match his words?” Is he acting like a man that’s planning for marriage or was the ring just a tactic to keep you quiet for a little while? longer
3. HAVE YOU MET HIS FAMILY? – If he’s close to his family and you’ve never met them, an alarm should be sounding off somewhere in your mind.
4. DOES HE TELL HIS FRIENDS ABOUT YOU? – Do his friends have any idea who you are? A man that’s in love with you isn’t ashamed to let his inner circle know that you’re the one.
5. ARE YOU PLANNING FOR A FUTURE? – If you’re really going to have a future, you should be planning for it. That white picket fence doesn’t just pop up one day.
6. DO YOU COME BEFORE HIS FRIENDS AND FUN? – Is he making space for you in his life and are you a priority? While you each shouldn’t cut your friends off, your relationship should be a priority in your lives.
7. HAVE YOU HAD THE MUST-HAVE CONVERSATIONS? – If you’re planning for a future, then you should be having the tough conversations that must be had before marriage. These conversations include finances, children, roles, and religion to name a few.
8. HE FEELS COMFORTABLE AROUND YOU? – Can he put his guard down around you? As men we try to be tough, cool and a bunch of other stuff in front of the women that we like, but when like turns to love we can finally let our guards down.
Writer: Lamar Tyler of Black&MarriedwithKids.com